Summer Research Internship
During summers in the first two years, the CNS-NRT trainees and affiliates will participate in an NRT-supported research internship. In some cases, these internships will take place in the research labs or projects at IUNI. When possible, however, students will be encouraged to visit another institution, giving them an opportunity to broaden their experience and to develop skills and perspectives that they can bring back to IU to enrich the NRT program and their own professional development.
Top-quality national and international research centers and companies:
- Aix-Marseille University Institute for Advanced Study (France)
- Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Institute for Scientific Interchange (Italy)
- Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia (Portugal)
- Network Science Institute at Northeastern University
- Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems at Northwestern University
- Persistent Systems
- The Santa Fe Institute
- University of Costa Rica
- University of Kentucky
- University Medical Center Utrecht (The Netherlands)
In Departments where there are established first year activities in the summer (e.g., The Sociological Research Practicum in Sociology), the learning contract includes specific plans to integrate summer activities into the research rotation courses.
Trainees are also expected to participate in the diversity recruitment activities, namely by co-mentoring minority undergraduate students in the Summer Research Opportunities in Computing program at SICE.