The advisory board provides critical advice on many aspects of our CNS-NRT training program, including research directions, evaluation, recruiting activities, and the design of our training program. In addition, in some cases, they are in a position to directly publicize and recommend top students to our program, as well as receive students for internships in their institutions.
The following prominent individuals have agreed to serve on our External Advisory Board:
- Melanie Mitchell, PhD (Portland State University and Santa Fe Institute). Dr. Mitchell is Professor of Computer Science at PSU, and External Professor and Member of the Science Board at the SFI. She is one of the premier scientists in complex systems from an artificial intelligence and cognitive science perspective. Her most recent book, Complexity: A Guided Tour, won the 2010 Phi Beta Kappa Science Book Award, was one of Amazon’s the ten best science books of 2009, and was longlisted for the Royal Society's 2010 book prize. Dr. Mitchell also directs the Santa Fe Institute's Complexity Explorer project, which offers online courses and other educational resources related to the field of complex systems.
- Cristopher Moore, PhD (Santa Fe Institute). Dr. Moore is a Professor at SFI, and a fellow of the American Physical Society and the American Mathematical Society for his fundamental contributions at the interface between nonlinear physics, statistical physics and computer science, including complex network analysis and dynamical systems. He is the co-author of the inspirational book The Nature of Computation.
- Raissa D’Souza, PhD (University of California, Davis). Dr. D’Souza is Professor of Computer Science and of Mechanical Engineering at UC Davis, as well as an External Professor at the Santa Fe Institute. She the President of the Network Science Society, a Fellow of the American Physical Society, and was a member of the World Economic Forum's Global Agenda Council on Complex Systems.
- Alessandro Vespignani, PhD (Northeastern University). Dr. Vespignani is Sternberg Distinguished University Professor of Physics, Computer and Information Sciences, and Health Sciences at Northeastern. A pioneer of the study of large-scale information networks and computational models of the spread of epidemics, he is a Member of the Academy of Europe, a Fellow of the American Physical Society, and has served as the President of the Complex Systems Society. His books are classics in complex networks and systems.
Dr. Siddhartha Chaterjee, Chief Technology Officer, Persistent Systems, Inc.
Dr. Winter Mason. Data Scientist, Facebook, Inc.
Dr. Souvik Ghosh, Senior Staff Data Scientist, LinkedIn Corp.
- Dr. Travis Brown, Assistant Dean for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at SICE.